Came across folders for SLU-based lectures Ong gave from 1990-1996. Included are folders for the 1990-1991 and 1991-1992 English Graduate Student Symposium series. Both Symposium series files contain a general overview, talking points for each symposium, and supporting materials (from handouts for the graduate students to essay's Ong draws from).
- 1990-91 Series
- "History of English as an Academic Subject"
- "Orality, Writing, Print, Electronics"
- "Under Deconstruction"
- "More Under Deconstruction"
- "Tools, Body, Brain, and Writing"
- "You and Your Students"
- 1991-92 Series
- "Where does the Study of English Come From?"
- "Nouns versus Pronouns"
- "Evolution Toward Language: Continuity and Impasse"
- "The Alliance of Language (and Thought) with Sound"
- "Three Fields of Hermeneutics"
- "Writing, Print, and Electronics All Restructure Thought" (the original schedule title was "Computer-assisted Thought"
The 1991-92 series includes a short piece by Ong titled "Text as Technology." His notes say that he found it in a file of correspondence with the Rome-based journal Prometeo, but he never sent it to them.
Walter Ong | Walter J Ong | Walter J Ong Archives